View of the Robert Mills Custom House (1833-35)

Custom House Maritime Museum, New London

The Library occupies a second floor room in the Custom House Maritime Museum, at the front of the 1835 granite building designed by Robert Mills, architect of the Washington Monument.  Microfilms of early New London customs records are located in a room across the hall that served as the customs office until operations and recordkeeping shifted away from typewriters, carbon copies, file cabinets and landlines.

This handsome, if utilitarian example of Greek Revival architecture stood at the edge of the Thames River until separated from it by the railroad built in the 19th century on landfill extending the shoreline eastward. 

View of the Robert Mills Custom House (1833-35)