Browse Exhibits (16 total)
This exhibition is drawn from the Herman Pedersen Archive in the Frank L. McGuire Maritime Library. It consists of official certificates, letters, papers, memorabilia and photographs relating to the wartime experiences of merchant seaman Herman R. Pedersen.
Brian Rogers, Online Exhibitions Curator
An exhibition about the origins and history of the Connecticut State Pier and the Central Vermont Railway Pier in New London, Connecticut. Best viewed in Full Screen mode. Use the chapter headings in sidebar to navigate the chronology.
This exhibit is about the voyage of the whaler Merrimac of New London, Connecticut, 1844-1852
An examples of book and paper conservation projects carried out by Eugene C. MacMullan between 2012 and 2019 for the Frank L. McGuire Maritime Library of the New London Maritime Society.
Illustrated steps for making half-hull models by Robert A. Pittaway. Edited by Brian Rogers, Online Exhibits Curator
An exhibition of the life and times of Ellery Franklin Thompson (1899-1986), whose writings, published and unpublished, provide first-hand glimpses into the 20th century maritime history of southeastern Connecticut.
Brian Rogers, Online Exhibitions Curator April, 2020
A memoir by Gerard E. Jensen (1884-1970) of his boyhood trips at the turn of the 19th century aboard scheduled steamboats connecting Norwich, Connecticut, and Block Island, Rhode Island, with stops at Montville, New London, Stonington, and Watch Hill. Originally published in the Fall, 1967, issue of Steamboat Bill, the Journal of the Steamship Historical Society of America. Reprinted with permission.
Illustrated with images from the original article and vintage postcards from the collection of the Frank L. McGuire Maritime Library. Edited by Brian Rogers, Librarian (2009-2019)
The screw steamship Tasco was built in New London in 1907. In 1908 it was registered to the T.A. Scott Company (hence its name: TASCO), as a rescue and salvage vessel, based in New London. From 1908 to 1914 the Tasco took part in the rescue or salvage of nearly 150 wrecked ships along the east coast of the United States from as far north as Maine and south to Key West.
In 1914, it was sold to Mr. J. Shewan of Brooklyn, New York. In 1917, it was purchased from Mr. Shewan by the U.S. Navy and commissioned as the USS Tasco, SP502, a minesweeper and patrol vessel. It was decommissioned in 1919 and returned to Mr. Shewan. There are no further records of the Tasco after 1919.
The Tasco Collection in the Frank L. McGuire Maritime Library contains a variety of documents and photos related to the service of the Tasco. The collection was donated to the Custom House Maritime Museum in 2001 by Mr. David A. Allen of Groton, Connecticut. The collection includes about 190 photographs and postcards, the log book of the Tasco from December 15, 1908 to March 2, 1914, an edited version of the the log, and photocopies of newspaper clippings and other documents relating to the activities of the Tasco.
The records of the T. A. Scott Company, from 1889 to 1927, including many documents relevant to the Tasco, are held at the G.W. Blunt Library at Mystic Seaport.
To see all of the scanned images from the Tasco photograph album, click on S.S. Tasco Photographs.
--Laurie M. Deredita, Librarian
A documentary about New London's unique relationship with the SS Savannah and her pioneering transatlantic voyage in 1819 under Captain Moses Rogers and First Mate Stevens Rogers.
We gratefully acknowledge the support and advice of John Laurence Busch in the preparation of this documentary.
---Brian Rogers, Online Exhibitions Curator