Washington Monument, Baltimore, Maryland, by Robert Mills (1813-1842)
This first major monument to George Washington was designed by Robert Mills in 1814 with the cornerstone laid the next year. Located on the high ground of Baltimore's Mount Vernon Place, the stonework was not completed until 1829, when the statue of Washington was lifted to the top. Other additions were made until 1842. The monument was restored in 2014-2015. Its august neighbors are the Walters Art Museum and the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University (a music conservatory and performing arts preparatory school.)
Unattributed photograph adapted from the Worldwide Web.