Custom House from New London harbor, ca. 1900
This rare elevated view dates from about 1900; the four chimneys are still in place, the Greek Revival corner pilasters can be seen to good advantge, and the wide door to the basement storage rooms is prominent. When the building was new a wharf stood at left, but disappeared when the riverbank was extended years later to accomodate the railroad. H.H. Richardson's 1885 Union Station stands beyond the curve of the tracks to the north.
To see an enlargement, click on the image, then click on the next image. The enlargement may be enlarged again for even more detail, such as the name CUSTOM HOUSE large enough to be read from vessels in the harbor.
Frank L. McGuire Maritime Library